Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: How many tons can we produce?
Q: When will the regulations become effective?
Q: How do I get started?
How do I become an FSC member?
processor. The below processors are already FSC processors.
• Etosha Charcoal
• Carbo Charcoal Namibia
• Jumbo Charcoal
• Kilo 40 Trading
Q: Existing groups? A: New group scheme formed already – Makarra Bush Product and
• The Namibia Charcoal Association (NCA) also starts a group scheme.
• Project for a NCA group scheme for 5-10 people (upcoming farmers). Project to test
the (a) Economic value (b) Software in the next year.
• The contract will be with Mr. Michal Brink from C.M.O South Africa.
• The group manager will be appointed soon.
• FSC sponsors the pilot project.
• The idea is to make it (a) easier -less paper work (b) cheaper for the producer to be
part of a FSC scheme.
Q: How much charcoal can a worker make per month?
3,5 to 4 is the average. A good worker can produce up to 8 tons of charcoal per month
Q: Where are Kilns available?
Kilns beskikbaar op bestelling by Inventec, in Otjiwarongo. Kontak Johan Theron- Cell: 081 124 1916. Materiaal om klins te bou, beskikbaar by Pupkewitz MegaBuild. Kontak persoon: Nico Coffee, email: email@example.com
Kilns available by order at Investec, in Otjiwarongo. contact Johan Theron- Cell: 081 124 1916. Material to build klins are available at Pupkewitz MegaBuild. Contact person: Nico Coffee, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Q: What permits are needed?
Harvesting permit – Valid for 3 months – N$60-00
Marketing Permit – Valid for 3 monhts – N$320
Transport permit – Valid for 7 days (Returns need to be submitted every 3 months )- N$ 20-00
Q: Where are the permits obtained?
Q: How does a charcoal producer start?
“A producer must be a landowner, or an agreement with a land owner (if not a land owner) must be made. and permits must be in place”
Q: How much does a charcoal worker earn?
The guideline is 40% of the proceeds. The minimum was is N$660.00/ ton
Q: Precautions for fire prevention?
1. Apply Pressure grazing increases. E.g. 200 to feed calves start to produce
2. 15m strip cleaning up camp
3. 3m cleaning up klin
4. Have fire extinguishers ready
5. keep a “fire fighter” at all times ready at one of the producers
6. Chop into strips as indicated in Best Practice Booklet
7. Watch you Klin
8. Burn with lid on